Bristol Parish, resulting from increasing population in the area was established in 1643.
Fort Henry appeared in 1645-46.
In 1733 Colonial William Byrd wrote of founding the towns of Petersburg and Richmond.
By 1737 if not earlier, a brick church gave evidence of the locality's coming of age. The colonial town was established by law in 1748. It became a larger town, with greater and more specific powers, with the charter of 1784. It achieved the dignity of cityhood in 1850.
The church which has become known as Blandford Church, may have overlooked the nascent towns of Petersburg, and Blandford, and possibly Pocahontas as well, all close beside the Appomattox River.